Week 28💌🎄🎆 - MERRY CHRISTMAS YA FILTHY ANIMAL... AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!
MERRY CHRISTMAS YA FILTHY ANIMAL... AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!
It is so crazy that Christmas was last week, and New Year is this week. 2025 flew by so fast!
Segunda: Today was a day of mini miracles. Thankfully Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers.
Milagre #1: our internet was fixed! I was actually able to send and receive emails! And I could actually call my family from the comfort of my bed without having to go to a padaria to use their wifi
I forgot that my siblings are on Holiday from school, so I called Steven at 6 am like usual. I felt so bad, but he was really chill about being woken up at 6 during his winter break. I really do have an amazing little brother! He and my dad were heading out of town, so I didn’t get to talk to them much.
I spent pday in bed on the phone with my mom. I also got caught up with my scripture reading and journaled. It was a nice day just getting to relax and recharge after a hectic week.
Milagre #2: it was cold!! It had been raining all night, and was raining all day. I stayed under my blanket with the fan off. It was so nice feeling cold again! (It was 78⁰).
Milagre #3: My package was found! My family sent me a package for Christmas, and received a notification that it had been delivered last Segunda. However, when I asked the office, they said they didn't have it. I checked in periodically throughout the week, and nada. I resigned myself to the fact that my package was lost/stolen. My mom sent me the tracking code, and as a Hail Mary, I sent it to the office. I got a call from Elder Jacobina who said that the Sisters in Planalto had my package! Apparently it had been boxed in with one of their Christmas packages. I called an Uber delivery to pick up my package from them. I am so grateful that God hears and answers prayers!
We ended a great pday with an equally great pizza. My dad and brother are in NYC, so I felt like I had to match them and get a pizza.
Terça: Feliz 6 mêses!!! Today was my 6th mês-versario. I cannot believe how quickly time flies by. I am already 1/3 of the way done with my mission. That is just so crazy to me!
We had conselho de distrito today, and it only lasted an hour! But we had a little surpirse when we answered the call, Presidente Tonini was there! He was in the LD/LZ house. I'm not sure why, but it was nice having him at our conselho. After conselho, a member dropped off some money for us because she didn't have time to feed us. We went to a marmita place because we were short on time.
Today was our first day working as First Responders. Our shift was from 13h-16h, but the site wasn't working until almost 15h. Finally, we got everything up and running. The first person that I texted said that she did NOT want to talk to missionaries. Soooo why fill out a form with your name, address and cellphone number?? Oh well, tudo bem.
After our shift, we headed out to work in Bela Vista. We talked with a woman named Merilene who is going through some difficulties right now. She said that she wants to go to church on Sunday, and hopefully receive some peace.
We had 2 acompanhamentos, one from the LZR (the sisters in charge of Zona First Responder) and then our LD.
Quarta: MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE! FELIZ VÉSPERA DE NATAL!!! Guys! It's almost Christmas!!!!
Today was a good day! We had lunch with Irmã Rosária. She was my first lunch here in Bela Vista, and I am so glad that I had the opportunity to eat with her on Christmas Eve. She is such an incredible woman. She is so firme in her faith and in the Gospel.
Working on Christmas Eve was hard. It wasn't bad, but it was hard. Very few people were home, and those who were home, were too busy to talk to us. It took 4 hours of knocking on doors just to find one person who would invite us in. It was a sweet, little old lady. She talked to us about her son's addiction to hard drugs and alcohol. Merry Christmas!
We had to head back to our apartment at 7pm for our First Responders shift. Our shift was 7-10pm. During this time, we received 2 references. Everyone was too busy partying to be on their phones. At 8, we brought our phones to irmã Kelly's house. Irmã Carmem invited us for a Christmas dinner. Here, they eat at midnight. Obviously we can't be out that late, so we just hung out for a bit while they prepared some food for us to take home. While we waited, we watched a bit of "The Shack". It is about a man who finds his faith after a family tragedy. It is so good!
After we got our food, we headed home to eat our Christmas dinner. President told us that we could stay up until midnight, so we did! (I definitely don't stay up until quase midnight on a normal day...whatttt). Sister Leite and I decided to dye our hair. We bought the dye to use on New Year's Eve, but we aren't patient people. I decided to open one of my Christmas presents, it was a Book of Mormon that has english and Portuguese side by side! It's absolutely gorgeous.
Quinta: FELIZ NATAL! FELIZ NAVIDAD!! MERRY CHRISTMASSSSS!! Today was a really good day. Christmas is always my favorite day of the year, and I am so grateful for the opportunity to be a missionary this year during this holiday season. I also finished reading the New Testament today!
We had a 20 minunte Christmas mission devotional, where Sister Tonini shared a beautiful message. We then got to work as First Responders. People today were...really really weird. I called this one dude who requested a visit from the missionaries, but didn't put his house number. When I asked him if he could pass it along, he very angrily told me that he did NOT want them in his house. Aight, okay.
He said they can message him though. He then asked "Estou falando com eles onde?" (I'm talking to them where?). I assumed he was asking how the missionaries would contact him, so I told him WhatsApp. He then repeated his question, and so I repeated my answer. He then got really mad and said "Já lhe fiz a mesma pergunta duas vezes e não me responde!" (I have asked you the same question twice now, and you haven't responded!). Well, now I'm just confused. I told him it's because I don't understand his question, and my comp whispered that he is probably asking where we are.
I said we are the missionaries in Teresina. He said that I am clearly not from Teresina because my accent is weird. He asked where I am from. I told him the US. His voice IMMEDIATELY changed. The best way I can describe his voice was that he sounded like he was trying to be suave/seductive. He said "Oh... you're an American?".
Yuck! I told him that I was, and tried to tell him that we would pass his information on to the missionaries who live in his area. He kept interrupting me to ask more questions about where I am from and where I am now. Nooooo thank you! I hung up on him. He then texted and asked "Podemos conversar?" (Can we converse?).
Ew ew no thank you! I told him that we passed his information to the missionaries in his area. I made a note in his contact before sending it to the Elders, letting them know that he didn't want them in his house, but wanted me to pass along the contact. I also said good luck! That was weirdo #1.
We had lunch with Irmã Katiany today. I always love lunch at her house, she is such an amazing cook. Today was no exception. She made a delicious strogonoff. She also bought each of us a box of chocolate and wrapped it in cute paper. I love the members aqui. They are so wonderful! After lunch, we headed to go knock on doors.
This part was definitely a little frustrating, because not many people were home. Those who were home were too busy celebrating Natal to talk to us. I felt like a pest. We did have 1 lesson with our friend Felippe, we taught him O Restauração. We also marked a novo! God was really helping us today.
Now for weirdo #2... while we were wrapping up for the day and getting ready to head home, we got a message from a guy I had tried to contact for First Responders. I tried to call him again rapidinho, but he said to just send an audio. I sent off a quick audio explaining who we were and what information we needed. He then said that my accent is not Brazileiran. Well, no duh! I told him I am from the US.
He then tried to FACETIME us. What. The. Heck. No thanks! We didn't answer, so he called again. He told us he wouldn't pass along his information unless we answered the phone. My comp answered and blocked the camera with her thumb. I wasn't allowed to talk at all. She then hung up on him. He started spamming us with messages including "atender e abrir a câmera pra mim babes" (answer and open the camera for me babes).
By this time, we were home and calling our families. He sent us some more messages saying that we are beautiful, asking if we are married, and telling us we need to come over. He tried calling us one more time and then said "tá fazendo. Tem foto sua" (They are doing it, they have your photo). That freaked out my comp, and she blocked him.
Both of these weirdos are from the same city. I kinda feel for these elders. And I think these dudes will be in for a real treat when they learn that not all missionaries are american girls.
I got to end the night talking to my family though, which was the perfect end. I got to talk to my baby sister, and show her that I am wearing the bracelet that she made me. I also got to say hi to my brother, Steven. My dad fell asleep during our call, poor guy. Christmas is tiring!
Even though today was filled with drunk weirdos, it was also filled with tender mercies. It was filled with kindness and love. I am so grateful that I had the opportunity and the privilege to be a missionary this year during Christmas.
Sexta: Today was a good day! Our lunch canceled on us, but irmã Lucia came through. She brought us to the restaurant of one of her friends. I am so grateful for how loving she is. She has started calling me "branquinha" (white girl). It's easier than Starley.
Our First Responders shift was from 16h-19h. I was a little worried about how our area would do today, because we would only have a couple hours to work. I shouldn't have worried though, because the Lord was with us.
Today's Sexta-Festa was pass the bomb. Whoever is left with the bomb at the end of the night has to buy the LZs and LTSs a bomba. You can pass the bomb by making 5 contacts, 1 novo or 1 data for batismo. My comp and I were really excited to participate because we had made 15 contacts just through First Responders.
We ended up marking 2 novos as well. One of them is named José Preto. He had talked to missionaries a year ago, but due to some health issues that required surgery, he had to stop taking lessons. He said he is interested in continuing again, now that is health is better.
Our second novo is a really rich lady named Expedita. We had tried talking to her earlier in the evening, but she wasn't home. Some neighbor girls let us know that she would be back around 9, and then let us know that they think we are really cool. (Yes!) We came back after José, and she was home. She has the CUTEST dogs. I was dying of allergies and covered in hives when I got home, but so incredibly worth it.
She said that we can come back any time. She said that she would love to have us over for lunch, and said we could swim in her pool. If only! Freaking mission rules.
Also, we lost the Sexta-Festa! Our LZs pulled a freaking buzzer beater and didn't pass us the bomb until there was literally 20 seconds left. Well, jokes on them, I am broke! I have a grand total of $0.00 in my account (I have about $70 in cash, but they don't need to know that).
Sabado: Today was another good day. We didn't have to work as First Responders, so it freed up a lot more time for us to work. We had lunch at Bispo's house, and it was delicious as always. There is something there that I am really allergic to, I think a perfume or cleaning product. They have a cat, but I didn't touch him this time!! My eye got really red and swollen though. After lunch, we asked Irmã Carmem and her sister Kelly if they could help us with a lesson, and they agreed.
After lunch and studies, we tried to visit Luiz Felippe. He wasn't home. We decided to cut him. He isn't responding to our messages, and he just isn't progressing. Also, Denes told us that he is going back to his church. That's another baptism that fell through...
After Luiz, we decided to try a gray dot. We found a guy named Gabriel. When we asked if he was Gabriel, he got really excited and invited us in. He then told his sister that the "meninas da Igreja estão aqui!" (The girls from the church are here!). He had a bunch of questions. He also showed us that he had the Book of Mormon app, and he was currently in 1 Nephi 10. Wow! He hasn't had contact with missionaries in months, and he sought out a way to read the Book of Mormon. He told us he wants us to come back next week.
We then went BACK to BelaVista, so that we could get a ride with Irmã Kelly and Carmem to our lesson with Merilene. Merilene said that she would be ready for us to pick her up at 8 am to go to church tomorrow! It is a good thing we brought members, because we wouldn't have been able to enter her house without them. She owns a bar, and there were some drunk dudes over.
After that, we went BACK to Promorar, and tried some mÃdia references. THEN, we went to San Antonio 1. We covered 3 bairros, 2 of them more than once. My feet were definitely sore by the end of the day. Once we got home, we taught a telephone lesson to Lucas Rafael. Then our LD called us (this elder is chato demais), and we went to bed.
Domingo: Happy Sunday! While we were walking to pick up Merilene, Irmã Katiany drove by and offered us a ride. She picked up Merilene too. Thank you!! Merilene was the only one of our investigators to go to church today, but I am just glad that we had one!
Lunch was delicious. It was with Irmão Enoque. Last time he made these beans that taste just like pork-n-beans, but this time it was lasagna. Still delicious! After lunch, we took the fattest naps. I was really dehydrated though, so I dreamed that I was in a desert being chased by a cobra. I woke up and immediately chugged water.
We then did our weekly planning and scheduled some confirmed appointments. Gabriel sent a message saying that he wants to invite his sister to sit in on our lesson next week. Wow!
I read a lot of scriptures today. I started reading the new BOM that my mom gave me, and I am on 2 Nephi 23. I am on 3 Nephi 22 for the BOM where I am doing the challenge that the Tonini's gave us. I really love the Book of Mormon. Maybe that's why I have 6 here and 1 at home...
We ended the night with a Zone Devotional. Our LZ told us that they want us extending 8 dates every day, and that our LD will call us every night to make sure we are doing this. I get that it is important to talk to as many people as possible, but I prefer to only extend dates when I am prompted by the Spirit, and this person is progressing. I'm not sure how this will go.
Spiritual Thought: The New Year is this week! This is the time where everyone is making goals, and the time where not many people are actually fulfilling them. A lot of this stems from the fact that our goals just aren't achievable. It is wonderful to set goals that push us to improve. That is why we are here! However, sometimes we chose goals that we just can't reach.
President Gordon B. Hinckley said: “Please don’t nag yourself with thoughts of failure. Do not set goals far beyond your capacity to achieve. Simply do what you can do, in the best way you know, and the Lord will accept of your effort.”
During this week, as you review 2025, be kind to yourself. Look at all of the progress you have made! Don't dwell on how you might not have reached every single goal. Celebrate the small wins, the progress that you have made to become a better you! Set goals that are realistic and achievable, and don't beat yourself up.
Remember to include your Father in Heaven during this time. Ask Him for help with setting goals that are divinely inspired and will put you on the path that He wants you to be on. As you are working with Him, He will magnify your effort. I promise you, He won't leave you to do this alone.
That is all for this week! I want all of you to know how beyond grateful I am for your support and for your love. You are all in my prayers. If you need anything at all, don't hesitate to ask! I am here for you. I wish you all the happiest holiday season, and an amazing start to 2026!
Eu amo vocês!! Feliz Natal e Feliz Ano Novo!
Pictures:
1. My Christmas package!! Thank you everyone!
2. My collection
3. Pday and pizza night!
4. Finished the New Testament!
5. Box dye for Christmas Eve!
6. He will be deeply missed
7. Man, we were SO ready to win the Sexta-Festa
8&9. Our Zone passing the Bomb
10. I love flowers here!
11. The really cute dog!! LOOK AT HIS SMILE
12. Remember that nothing lasts forever, all trials will eventually be overcome :)














Comments
Post a Comment